Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Loving Lately: Spoonk Acupuncture Mat





PSA: Get yourself a Spoonk Acupuncture Mat. Game. Changer. Recently, I was getting a lot of Instagram sponsored posts about acupuncture mats. My interest was piqued because I did acupuncture/cupping earlier in 2016 to assist with alleviating neck and shoulder pain and anxiety. (I really enjoyed the sessions for 8 weeks, but stopped going because it was getting pricey.) The mat claimed to help alleviate back, neck and shoulder pain and assist in relaxation for less than the cost of one acupuncture session. Plus, the reviews on Amazon were glowing. Sold. (Amazon Prime has been responsible for much stupider purchases, I can assure you.)

Since it arrived on my doorstep, I have LOVED this mat. The pressure points are sharp to the touch, but when you lay on it on your back, I prefer to lay on it with a bare back. It is moderately uncomfortable for a few minutes, but then you stop feeling the prongs and you start feel a warming sensation (which I cannot explain, this is just what happens for me). I lay on it for 15-20 minutes before I start to get uncomfortable and I am trying to work myself up to more time. I generally watch TV while I lay on the mat (I'm sure it's even better if you meditate while you lay on it). When I get up, I have the temporary sensation of feeling like my back is very sunburned (uncomfortable) but this quickly goes away.

After about two weeks of almost daily use, I have noticed that my upper back/shoulders do not begin to ache as much after sitting at my desk all day. But what has really converted me is the quality of sleep I get after laying on this thing. It is unbelievable. I didn't think I was having any trouble sleeping, generally speaking (I had the occasional bad night's sleep). However, when I get into bed after using the Spoonk mat, I fall asleep quickly and do not wake up or stir AT ALL until my alarm goes off. A few times I have even woken up feeling rested before my alarm goes off - WHAT? If you have had the misfortune of ever living with me, you know that I am abuser of the "snooze" function in the worst way possible. This unheard of.

I'm not the only one raving about why acupuncture mats are great - there are tons of articles and recommendations for them out there.

If you think I am drinking the Kool-Aid, read the Amazon reviews. I am not pretending to fully understand it's magic, but I am impressed.



No comments:

Post a Comment