Tuesday, February 26, 2013

getting figgy with it

Yes, the title of this post is "getting figgy with it." Humor me, please. I had to do something more creative than my recent, uninspired posts titles like, "Spring Handbags" and "Dream Kitchens." (Riveting, I know.) But back to the topic at hand, the fiddle fig leaf plant. Or Ficus Lyrata, if you want to go all botanist on me. 

I have this corner of my dining room that is a little on the empty side. I don't need or want any extra furniture in the space and my soon-to-be-hung curtain panels will help fill it up a bit, so I was thinking of shoving some TBD accent chair over there and calling it day. My mother suggested getting a plant, and my first thought was something along the lines of:

"Decorating with plants gone awry," exhibit a & b:

As an aside, I feel like that picket fence headboard is straight from "Pinterest, you are drunk." 

See how these plants fill that corner up SO NICELY?

Don't get me wrong, I know you can accessorize with a good plant now and then, but this is what my gut reaction was. And aside from the odd orchid (which I have knack for killing) I was all, "No plants for me thankyouverymuch." I didn't give it another thought until I was perusing One Kings Lane for stuff I don't need when I saw this quote from Erinn Valencich in her Tastemaker Tag Sale

"My favorite decorating tricks? Hang your curtains close to the ceiling for drama. And I believe every home should have a living tree in the living room - Fiddle Fig Leafs are a personal favorite."

Curious, I immediately thought of the oft-seen Peter Dunham Fig Leaf fabricSome Google searching and some Pinterest stalking later and I realized I'd been missing out on the whole "stylish-plant-in-the-room" thing for a while. I'm so off-trend and not hip. Sigh.

Lonny, March 2012

Grant K. Gibson via




Ken Fulk via House Beautiful

unknown via



Emily Henderson (I think) via

Peter Dunham via House Beautiful

Gorge, no? 
Apparently you can get these from IKEA

Now there is just the matter of purchasing (and not killing) my own Fiddle Fig Leaf tree. 

Are you rethinking decorating with plants? (Or did you already subscribe to this train of thought?)

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I've been looking for a tree for my space, this is on my list now!

    ReplyDelete