Thursday, June 21, 2012

Secretary Sophistication

When I saw this refurbished secretary on Kiki's List yesterday, I about died. I absolutely love it. I already have a weakness for secretaries, but this coral and gray number has me weak in the knees. 



I'm not sure when I first began to love these desks, but it's a long-standing affair. My grandmother has a beautiful secretary that has collected books, photographs and momentos over decades, and I've always admired the piece. And I love the idea of a desk that can be easily tucked away, it's upper shelves styled and used to store treasured items. I can't wait to have one in my own home one day. 

These beautifully styled, traditional secretaries remind me of my grandmother's, and the "original" look that I fell in love with.


As a desk... (mah personal fave)


Painted secretaries (as evidenced by Kiki) are also the bee's knees. 


I'll have one of each, please!

   

A stunning statement in black OR white!

Unique features, like a painted interior, lined back or two-tone wood can really make a secretary special too.


Love the original wooden drawers and floral backing on this white washed secretary.
This printed paper number updates the hutch without altering the original finish!


That pop of pink is totally unexpected and fabulous!
Again, patterned paper against the white hutch is just lovely.



I truly love each of these pieces - all are beautifully done. I am especially drawn to the image below because here a traditional piece holds its own beautifully among much more modern pieces. A little traditional, a little modern and a little glam with style and spunk - rather like myself, I like to think. I mean, when a secretary can hold its own against a graphic rug, retro chair and a disco ball, you know you've got a winner.


So what do YOU think? Do you need a secretary? 

1 comment:

  1. I have always wanted a secretary desk and I love all of these! A girl can dream!

    ReplyDelete