Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Garlic Roasted Chicken and Veggies

Confession-time people. I'm sort of in the midst of a Paleo Challenge (hosted by CupcakesOMG) which means keeping attempting a Paleo diet* for the month of March. Essentially, this requires that I cut out grains, dairy and legumes and eat lots of protein (meats, eggs), fruits and veggies. I know, I know. Deep-fried Oreos are not Paleo friendly. (I only ate one! Have you ever tried to eat only ONE deep-fried Oreo?)
  
Anyways, regardless of your diet restrictions this recipe is an uber-quick, filling and healthy recipe that tastes just as good the next day! 

Don't ya wanna make me?

You will need:
1 pound chicken breasts
1 butternut squash, cubed (I like to buy mine pre-cut from Trader Joe's)
1 head broccoli, chopped
Olive Oil
Salt Pepper
Garlic, minced to taste (I like a lot of garlic)

First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Rub salt, pepper and garlic over chicken breasts, place in baking dish and set aside. In a bowl mix cubed butternut squash and chopped broccoli with olive oil (to coat) and salt, pepper and garlic (to taste). Spread mixture over aluminum foil on a baking sheet. Place baking dish and baking sheet in over and cook 18-20 minutes, or until vegetables are roasted and chicken is cooked throughly. Serve hot and enjoy!


I had some red onion on-hand, so I added it to my chicken to add flavor. 
Delish, no? The Paleo gig requires some planning and thinking ahead about your menu, but so far, it hasn't been too bad. I knew from the outset that there would be a few occasions that I wouldn't be able to be Paleo for - like my bestie's bachelorette or St. Patty's Day. I'm not sweating a few slips off the wagon or freaking out if my pre-made salad from Fresh Market has some cheese on it. The goal (my goal) is just to detox from all added sugars and feel a little bit reenergized. So far, I feel great! 


If you have any Paleo-related questions, feel to leave a comment, and I will answer as best I can.


*I am not endorsing the paleo diet in any way. This is simply a choice I've made that fits well into my eating habits and lifestyle right now. Different strokes for different folks, ya know? Please make healthy decisions and consult a doctor before making any drastic changes!

No comments:

Post a Comment