Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Hearty, Healthy Chicken Soup

As a young, workin' gal (read: poor and alone), I love to make different soups over the weekend to have on-hand for meals throughout the week. Soups are quick and easy to make, keep well and freeze well, so I'm always on the lookout for great new recipes. My go-to "soup" in years past has been my Mimi's chili, but this winter it has been firmly bumped to second (sorry Mimi) with my discovery of Hearty Healthy Chicken Soup

I found this recipe while in a link vortex* last month, and I have since made it three times. It is originally from Picky Palate, but due to the nature of link vortexes, I can't say what led me there. Irregardless, it's amazingly delicious, and as the name suggests, hearty and healthy too! 

Don't delay...make this soup for yourself, your friends, your family and people you want to be your friends and family. This a crowd-pleaser. Scouts Honor. 


Look! I'm totes like Pioneer Woman, taking pics of all my ingredients!
First, get yourself to your nearest grocer to buy:

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
½ Cup red bell pepper, finely diced
½ Cup white onion, finely diced
2 Tablespoons jalapeno, minced (seeded and membranes removed)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 14 oz cans chicken broth
3 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 can northern beans, undrained (white beans)
1 can drained corn kernels
2 Cups thinly sliced fresh spinach leaves, stems removed
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped or shredded
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 Tablespoons Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning Mix
Second: Sautee carrots, celery, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic in olive oil for 8-10 minutes on medium heat. Then stir in the remaining ingredients, turn heat down to low, simmer for 25 minutes. 
At this point, your kitchen will begin to smell like a restaurant and people will think you're quite the gourmet!
Third: Garnish with some fresh parmesan cheese and voila! Hearty Healthy Chicken Soup! 
You can thank me later.
Some notes: I'm pretty laid back when it comes to culinary endeavors like soup. The first time I made this, I didn't add corn, red bell pepper or spinach. In the batch photographed above, I also did not include spinach and added extra carrot and celery. In all instances I have used the entire packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning (it's slightly more than the 2T required). 
Bon Appetite! 
*Link Vortex: Occurs when one is reading various blogs/websites during a session of internet surfing and begins to click on hyperlinks within hyperlinks within hyperlinks until said individual ends up on a foreign web page, having no idea how they arrived there. This is called a link vortex. It's science, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment