Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Got you covered

Ok, so this post is a little bit of a rug-rundown. All too often, I look at a beautifully styled room and zero in on details like fabric texture, furniture lines, artwork, light fixtures...I could go on. The point is that I frequently take a room's rug for granted, when really, the rug can anchor the room. Like such...


1. via 79 Ideas, original source not known
2. Emily A. Clark via Emily A. Clark
3. Knight Interiors via Knight Moves
4. Peter Dunham via House Beautiful, March 2012
5. Chris Lewis via Houzz
6. Originally featured in Nov/Dec issue of Lonny Mag via Elements of Style
Imagine those spaces without their rugs. Something would clearly be missing! Doh! How can I have been overlooking such a key element to these spaces!?  When shopping for rugs for my own space, I'm often overwhelmed by all the online sources for great floor coverings - not to mention the thousands of options from each site. Luckily, I've bookmarked a few great sources recommend by my fellow design bloggers for rug inspiration. 


Heidi from A Thousand Laughing Starfish Design and Bryn of Bryn Alexandra Interiors have both had much success with their eSaleRugs purchases. The variety of styles and types of rugs (old & new) is impressive. eSaleRugs is a great option for purchasing authentic, used Persian rugs for a fraction of the cost. Plus, I love the worn+warm feel of Bryn's rug so much more than if it were brand new!

Bryn's "new" antique rug making a statement in her entry way. 
Heidi's rug adding color to her neutral bath.
My eSaleRugs find: This beaut (click through for more detailed pics) has a beautiful pattern and really rich mustard, red and blue tones. It would be stunning in a casual den. Statement rug indeed!

Emily, from Emily A. Clark got her beautiful, orange ikat rug from RugsUSA. Love it! It really makes a statement in her newly completed dining-room-turned-home-office.


I love all these options from Rugs USA. 

Recently I saw this lovely French apartment featured by Kristen Krason of 6th Street Design School and was shocked to learn that the rug here is actually FLOR tiles! This is a super affordable and flexible option. I would be careful about selecting an option that pieces together naturally if you go this route though. The goal (in my opinion) is to create a rug that appears to be whole.  

Here are a few FLOR options that I think look pretty and could be a great option if you're working with an odd space or layout and need some flexibility. Wouldn't the fourth option be fun a kids play room? 


one                                  two
 
three                                four

Don't forget about other great online sources for rugs, like Overstock.com or One Kings Lane. Your local Home Goods store can also be a great source if you check regularly for new inventory. Here are few random rugs from around the internet that I'm loving right now.
The Zig Zag rug from Urban Outfitters is super affordable, stylish and comes in a great range of colors. It looks pretty thin and would definitley require some backing or a rug pad on a hardwood or tile surface. Still, it's overall look and price make it a great option!

One Kings Lane is having a Matt Cameron rugs sale through February 29th. There are some seriously gorgeous (and some seriously $$$) rugs. But at 8x11 and $659, this Kilim emerald, rose and sage option is a steal. How gorgeous is this!?
This wool trellis rug from Overstock.com in rich gold would be a great addition to any room.  For its size, style and price this is a winner in my book! (5x8 for $198.00!)
This ivory and blue medallion rug, also from Overstock.com would make a great statement against rich, dark hardwood, no? 
So, have you ever thought this much about floor coverings? What is your favorite rug source or tip for working a rug into a room's design
P.S. Yes, I did name this post "Got you covered" as in floor coverings, as in rugs, as in the topic of this post. And yes, I do think I'm clever. Thanks for asking.

1 comment:

  1. decided to check out your blog because I was looking for some design inspiration and I found it!

    ReplyDelete