Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Good Intentions

Today is Ash Wednesday - the official start of Lent - and lots of people are discussing what they are going to "give up" over the next forty days. Regardless of your spiritual orientation, I think most people can appreciate the spirit of living intentionally and working to better one's self. And so, it is with the very best of intentions that I lay my personal resolution for the Lenten season (accountability is a powerful thing, after all) before you.

Photo from my Pinterest board "quotable."
Background: I am a very lucky lady. I have, in excess, more than I could possibly deserve. And yet, I feel like I am always wanting more. More jeans. More shoes. More decor for my home. More stuff. Rather than focusing on all I have, all too often, I focus on what I don't have (like a giant walk-in closet full of my pinterest wardrobe in a pant size smaller than I'm sporting now). I focus on what others may have instead of me. Thief of joy, indeed!


Interpretation: Yep. That's right kids. I'm not buying anything for the next forty days. Well, anything I don't need. I need deodorant. I don't need new shoes from Piperlime (but dangit! I wish I did!). This is going to pret-ty difficult for me, especially with beautiful spring clothing appearing on every blog and street corner. So every time I want to buy something I don't need, I'm going to take a moment to be thankful for what I have. And (bonus!) I will hopefully rediscover some long-forgotten pieces of my wardrobe and put some much needed $ in the bank. Besides, doesn't mean a girl can't look. Here's to living with intention dolls!

2 comments:

  1. Contentment is not the fulfillment of everything you want; it is the realization of what you already have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will I still get something from you on my birthday?

    ReplyDelete